Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Holidays...candy and crap :(

Ok, I like candy as much as the next mom (obviously :P) but I HATE that every single holiday revolves around food - mostly candy - for kids. Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter - even the 4th of July is celebrated with many BBQs and treats for the kids!

I've always been concerned for the health of my children but with holidays, I get lax. I'm struggling with what to do with holidays now that Logan is diabetic. Christmas was different last December. With a newly-diagnosed diabetic in the family, we filled his stocking with NO candy. He did get some beef jerky but that was about the extent of the food. The poor kid restricts his diet enough on his own. I want him to be able to eat what the other kids around him have - with little thought on the differences it means for him.

I've really been struggling with Easter coming up...cuz what goes in an Easter basket except CANDY? We had an incident yesterday with candy. Logan didn't want to come with me to pick up Lexi's meds (she has strep) and go to the store. I told him I'd be home in a while and I took my phone with me. While I was gone, Logan took 1 unit of insulin and ate enough candy that he probably should have taken 3 or even 4 units. When I got home and asked him about it, his blood sugar was 247...and climbed to 263 in the next half hour before dinnertime. Of course, he didn't want to eat dinner since he'd eaten so much candy and didn't really feel that good because of how high his blood sugar is.

I NEVER get angry with Logan over his BG. I know it isn't easy being diabetic. I know that he's only 10 and doesn't realize the full severity of his disease. If we have an incident like this (or on the other spectrum, he took 7 units a couple weeks ago when he should have only taken half a unit), I try to use it as a learning experience. I want him to be as independent as he can be...but I know that he needs my help when determining how much insulin he takes. His guesses aren't as logical as mine are.

Back to Easter...sure, I may put some candy in the kids baskets but I think they'll be more full of small toys, a DS game and we may get a Wii for the family.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah! Thanks for popping over to my blog :) I'll add you to my blogroll.

    I struggled with the whole Easter thing as well! We are going to do a Gamestop gift card. Then she can go pick out a game for her DS or the Wii. I also picked her up 2 summer outfits and I might do a game that both girls can play. It's easier for us because Kacey doesn't like the way candy makes her feel now. It makes her sick and she will opt for cheese or peanuts to snack on instead. Good luck trying to figure out something for the basket :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG its been a long time! I am so glad to hear from you again & I cannot wait to catch up. Do you have a myspace or facebook? If so let me me know cuz I have both & will add you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment on my blog... I also hate how all holidays seem to revolve around food. Luckiy Elise is still too young to understand, but I'm not looking forward to the day when she wonders why she can't eat as many chocolate eggs as she wants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the world of blogging AND diabetes!!! Those first few months are incredibly stressful with everyone learning how to deal with it! It sounds like you're doing a great job with using every "incident" as a teaching moment! We haven't decided what we're doing for Jada for Easter- if there is candy involved it will be to a minimum and we'll know the carb count for every piece we buy! :)
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the other women who posted comments. Hannah, you are doing a fab job. I know you don't always see it the way we outsiders do. But really, you are doing better then I would, than I have done. Logan is doing great. It's hard to figure out how much insulin to take and his guesses will get better as he matures.

    ReplyDelete